Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Baby in an incubator!


The first day of my adorable baby went so well. After birth, doctors test the baby against Apgar scale and some more examinations. And the doctors told that he was healthy and normal. And then the next day, he was crying more and we found it difficult to soothe him. He was taking naps of 15 to 20 minutes. And not sleeping well. Doctor advised to feed him more. 

 

And on the third day morning, as usual, a doctor came and examined the baby. She told that the baby’s weight was loosing too much and too fast. And he was having a fever. So the doctor asked to shift him to baby nursery. I asked her to keep him with me and go on with the medications. But she refused telling that the proper care he needed, couldn’t be given there.


At noon, my little boy was taken to a nursery. After an hour, I went to visit him. He was placed in an incubator with oxygen and health monitors attached. First I thought my baby was going to die and tears formed in my eyes. I tried to wipe it before the doctor could notice. But I couldn’t control my self and started to cry. Doctor told that they were going to do some more examinations because baby was not passing urine. 

My lovely boy looked so sick and I placed my hand over his chest. At that moment, he made some movements with his arms. It looked like he was asking me to hold him. And so I took him in my arms, fed him and hold him against my chest for about half an hour. He seemed more relaxed when I kept him back.


At evening, again I went to feed him. I put him against my chest after the feed, and talked to him soothingly while looking into his eye. He looked like listening and relaxing. And when the nurse tried to put him in the incubator, he started to cry very loud. So she handed him back to me and suddenly he stopped his cry. Every time I went to him, he did the same, unless he was sound asleep. 


After two days, I was told by the doctor that he was recovering fast and the examination showed no serious symptoms. And that day he would be shifted to our room. The news pleased me and my husband, more than anything. And we were informed that they will check the baby for another 24 hours and if things were well, we would be discharged. 

Fortunately, the baby was normal again and we left the hospital the next day. I noticed that the more we talked to our baby by making eye contact and holding him close, hugging and comforting him, the better he gets.